Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sick

I woke up yesterday morning with a nasty cold.  I wasn't feeling my best, but I had registered to run a 5K that morning and so I went out and did it anyway.  Once the race started, I felt fine, although I could tell that my throat was taking a beating.  After the race, even after I changed out of my soaked t-shirt, I felt yucky.  So, I skipped out on the post-race pancake breakfast and went home. 

I gave my best shot at a normal morning but by afternoon, I was wiped out.  I finally took my temperature just for the heck of it and it was up a little.  By that point, Sacha and her mom (who is visiting for the weekend) were both taking naps (Sacha had been up in the night with Mateo), so I opted for a little of one of my favorite parts of fall:  college football!  I quickly made a bowl of popcorn and the kids and I just sat on the couch and watched the Oklahoma State/Texas A&M game.  I was hoping for something more local, but it was actually a great game. 

It was the perfect way to spend a slightly sick afternoon, although I did have to explain more than once to Mateo that yes, football is dangerous even though they wear pads.  He's kind of fascinated by things involving danger, which include motorcycles and football.  At this point, he thinks both are dangerous and bordering on bad, but we shall see what he thinks of them in a few years!  Having owned and loved a motorcycle in the past, I have no moral leg to stand on in that department! 

Anyway, the football game got us through the afternoon and pretty soon Sacha got up and sent me to bed.  I'm still feeling pretty icky today, but functional, and I hope tomorrow will be better. 

On a completely different and more fun note, Natalia is finishing Headsprout Early Reading as we speak.  She's on the very last lesson!  We are so proud of her and are planning to celebrate with fancy macaroons later this afternoon.  Go, Tali!

2 comments:

Allison said...

Hope you feel better soon!

And big congratulations to Tali on finishing the HeadSprout program!

Jen said...

I'm impressed that you got up and did the run even though you weren't feeling well. Just listening to your description of watching the game makes me feel all warm and cozy on a chilly fall night here. Hope you're bouncing back.