Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Miles

We are definitely getting our money's worth out of the swagger wagon lately.  It seems like all I do is pile the kids in the car to go somewhere and then pile them out again when we get there, and then rinse and repeat.  A lot of it is shuttling ourselves back and forth between the old house and the new house, which is a good thing, just more driving than we're used to.  The good news is that things are coming along!  We painted more this weekend and I even got some painting done this morning while the two bigger kids were at preschool.  Then, we hired a friend to do a bunch more painting and we are hoping that he will knock out some big sections in the next couple of days.  After that, we think we can finish it off on our own.  We are not do-it-yourself-ers by nature, but we're getting a little better at it as we go!

Anyway, our day today was kind of relentless and it reminded me of this hilarious conversation we had with a neighbor the other day.  An inebriated neighbor.  Remember how I blogged about feeling invisible awhile back?  Well, we were not invisible to this guy.  We ran into him while out on a walk around the neighborhood, and, after he sized up the situation and established that (#1) I am a woman, (#2) all three kids were ours, and (#3) we had had them after we got married (this completely stumped him), he wanted to know what we did for a living. 

Sacha said that she was a teacher and I said that I stay home with the kids.  To this, the guy replied loudly, "YOU MEAN YOU DON'T DO NOTHIN'?"  It sounds insulting but really it was quite funny.  Trying not to laugh, I said "Well, I do take care of the kids," to which he replied, again very loudly, "YOU MEAN YOU COULDN'T FIND A BABYSITTER?" in this very shocked tone.  Again, in context it was hilarious, although it doesn't look very funny when I type it. 

Sacha and I managed to extricate ourselves somehow and decided that perhaps being invisible is preferable.  And, we've been repeating to ourselves and laughing, "you mean you don't do nothin'??  I had to laugh about it today especially, because I got everybody out the door, made all their lunches, did school dropoff, painted at the new house, got groceries, picked up the preschoolers, worked out, drove everyone to the new house to pay our painter friend, drove home, took them to a coffee shop for a treat, drove home, made dinner, played with them and Sacha in the basement, and then, now, finally, sat down after everyone was in bed.  You see, I really don't do nothin.  And I love it, nonetheless :)

3 comments:

Cherida said...

Amen to that! :)

Briar said...

Sounds like a fun neighbor... ha!

Allison said...

LOL. I tease Jen that she is on vacation this year while she's taking maternity leave.