We had a big day around here! We started off the morning with a visit from Uncle Galen and Megan. Galen could only stay for a minute, but Megan stayed for most of the morning with the kids, as she has on Fridays for some time now. It has been wonderful to watch the kids having fun with her every week, as well as to have a weekly break in the action. She is a rockstar babysitter, always coming with cool little projects and treats and generally having a great time with the kids. She even volunteered to watch Rosa along with the big kids, which we happily took her up on.
Megan and Galen are moving up north for grad school in just a few weeks and we are going to miss them sooooo much. I somehow don't have a recent photo of Galen with the kids, but here are a couple of Megan. Luckily, Sacha's parents live close to where they're going to school, so we'll have plenty of reasons to come and visit!
After lunch and nap/rest time, we had a playdate with a preschool friend of Mateo's. It was their first playdate together, but they're best buddies at school, so it went well. They were so excited to see each other that they could hardly stand it! The little boy's mom is a native Spanish speaker, so the conversation flowed between both languages, with me struggling to keep up! I understand quite a bit, but speaking comes more slowly, so I could at least keep up with what they were saying, mostly! I did take a Spanish lesson this morning and am hoping to do more, so hopefully I'll master the language one of these days.
Anyway, after the playdate, Mateo and Sacha fulfilled a long-held dream, which was to set up a lemonade stand. They're both very entrepreneurial and have been waiting and waiting for a nice enough day to do it. Today was not only sunny, but also one of the days that a local community marketplace is open. The owner of it had told Sacha that we were welcome to come and sell lemonade there, so that's what we did. Sacha and Mateo made a bit vat of lemonade and ice and we trekked down to the marketplace and set up shop. Despite there being hardly any shoppers, Mateo sold tons of lemonade to the other vendors and their kids! We had a free refill policy and there were some little girls who must have had at least 10 glasses each. Luckily, they were just tiny Dixie cups :)
In fact, I had a funny conversation with three little girls that had me cracking up. Sacha had sold them some lemonade and then wandered off to see what else was at the market. Mateo and Tali and Rosa went with her, so I was minding the stand when the girls came by for a refill. One of them asked me if I knew the lady selling the lemonade? Yes, I said. Then she asked how I knew her and peppered me with possibilities. Friends? No. Sisters? No. Was she my cousin? No. My daughter? No! Man, they must have thought I was OLD. Finally, they were stumped and I figured I had to come out with it, so I said that she was my partner. One of the girls was like "Wha??" and another girl quickly got it. "Oh, wife and wife?" she asked. Yes, I said. Then the confused girl was like, "Oh, so you're friends!" You win, I thought. "Yes!" I said. It was hilarious. They kept coming back for more and more lemonade, so I guess their parents were either oblivious or were just fine with lesbians selling lemonade.
Anyway, here are some photos of the lemonade stand in action. It was such a success (Mateo made about $4 in quarters) that we may have to do it again!
We capped off the day with a celebratory trip to Subway for dinner. We were celebrating the success of the lemonade stand and Mateo's finishing of another section of his Headsprout reading comprehension program. He finished off this last section with a story about our government and the legislative, executive, and judicial branches of it. It was crazy to be reading about that - check that, being read to about that - with a four year old! The next and final section jumps up to fourth grade material and more about how our government works, and neither of us is sure that he's ready for it, but I guess we'll see. We never thought he would make it this far this quickly, so he may continue to surprise us....or he may need more time. Either's fine with us. We have a fun math program waiting in the wings, so it's all good. Happy Friday to everybody!
No comments:
Post a Comment