Thursday, June 10, 2010

Two in one

Two moments from this morning:

First, here are the kids in a rare position - playing on their own and together! Mateo was reading while Talia was drawing. I hope for many, many more moments like these this summer. Or, anytime, really.


Secondly, here's what Mateo was reading. It's one of the Magic Treehouse books. He was reading it by himself, out loud. I didn't prompt him. He just picked it up and started reading. He was completely engrossed, to the point that I had to promise he could take the book with him to the car to get him to preschool. He has hit some kind of tipping point and now it's like he can actually, well, read! He reads street signs, posters, books, etc. It's like he's discovered a whole world of words around him and now wants to know what they all mean.


Yes, he's been reading the same group of Magic Treehouse books with Sacha at bedtime for awhile now, so he's familiar with the words, but when they started with those books, Sacha would come out of Mateo's room amazed because he had read the majority of whatever chapter all by himself on his very first try at it. We're amazed, proud of him, and not sure where this will lead us, but excited to find out. Most of all, we're so glad he loves to read. Sacha and I always had our noses in books as kids and I think that has benefited us as we've grown into adults.

No comments: