Behold, in the photo above, our children in the position they have been in for a week. Can you see the digger in the background? We had a friend and her son over on Friday for our weekly playdate and she said, "Every time I drive by your house, I see Mateo standing at the window and staring at the digger."
I hadn't realized it was quite so obvious to the whole neighborhood, but our lives have really changed since the coming of The Digger. It's probably leaving tomorrow, which is a total bummer, because it has been entertaining and fascinating for all of us for the last week. As with seemingly all construction projects, it is already behind schedule: it was supposed to be here for two days and it has now been nearly a week.
Today, the digger operator told me that today was their last day, but then they found something under the driveway ramp they were digging and that seems to have set them back. We think it was the remains of an old oil tank or septic system or something. The Digger has entered our lives to the extent that Sacha and I had not one but several separate conversations about exactly what had been dug today and what might have been found under the dirt!
Needless to say, a winter of construction bodes well for all of us. Especially since these guys seem to start work every day at 7 am, which is great for our crew of early risers. I feel bad for them that they have a nearly constant audience, but maybe that happens to them a lot?
In the absence of heavy machinery crashing and banging over the weekend (which the kids have slept through beautifully so far, by the way, and I am knocking on major wood as I say that), we did lots of stuff! Mateo and Apa went on a hike on Saturday morning while Sacha and I took turns hanging out with Natalia and going for our Saturday runs.
Then, Apa got back with Mateo and suggested that Sacha and I have a date! Right then! Spontaneously! Of course, we said yes. Thank you, Apa! And we proceeded to go to the mall. We're not really very mall-y normally, but this was a nice mall and Sacha needed some new pants and so off we went. We had a great, great time. I think it's pretty awesome that we've been together for nearly nine years and that we still have so much fun together. It also helped that it was a daytime date, so we weren't pushing our bedtime back by going out!
This is getting long, so here's the rest of the weekend in a nutshell: went to Pix twice, saw Sacha's cousin and her new husband, who were in Oregon on their honeymoon, and then saw our friends K and C, who have had some recent adventures that we got to hear about. We planned our second annual Xmas tree-cutting adventure with them for early December. Here's hoping for some better weather than we had last year, when it was freezing and pouring down rain!
In other news, I can't resist posting this photo of Talia, who is wearing the new shoes Grammy and Grandpa got her. I seriously covet them - I wish they made them in my size! She loves shoes and these ones will keep her tiny feet nice and warm this winter. Thanks, grandparents!
And, suddenly, here it is Thanksgiving week and Sacha's immersed in parent-teacher conferences. She's working until 8 pm today and tomorrow, which means long days for both of us. We're all looking forward to her having the rest of the week off, seeing family, doing the Turkey Trot on Thursday morning, and then stuffing ourselves silly for the rest of the weekend. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
PS: For all you digger aficionados out there, here's a gratuitous video of The Digger getting itself down into the huge hole it has dug. Try to ignore my random commentary!
No comments:
Post a Comment