Saturday, July 4, 2009

5K

We went and ran in the local 4th of July 5K this morning and had tons of fun. We loaded the kids up into their double stroller and a lady shouted "3,2,1, go!" and off we went. The race was actually at the campus of the company where my uncle works, in a semi-rural area outside of Portland. It started at the campus and then went out in a big loop before coming back to finish at the start. The kids did amazingly well and seemed happy to watch the scenery go by. Mateo kept saying, intermittently, "this is a nice road!" and we finally figured out that he was saying that when we hit a shady part and the sun wasn't in his eyes.

Sacha and I ran together the whole way, which was fun. She finished her first-ever 5K!! I was the main stroller pusher, which evened out our paces so that we were both working hard! Pushing over 40 pounds of kids (plus however much the stroller weighs) for three miles turned out to be quite a workout. We were both quite proud of ourselves.

It wasn't too long ago that I had given up on ever being able to run again, so it feels great to have worked up to running two days a week with no major issues and then to be able to finish a 5K and feel good afterward. And, just because I'm too competitive for my own good, I must note that we were the first stroller to finish the race, beating out a pack of fancy jogging strollers. And, we were the only ones with a double stroller, to boot! We really just wanted to finish, but it was fun to win something, too :)

As an added bonus, there were popsicles at the finish and a kids' run about half an hour later.

Here are some photos of the morning:

The fam with our popsicles at the 5K finish line:


Mateo at the start of the kids' run:


Powering to the finish of the kids' run!:


Happy 4th of July to everybody!

1 comment:

Briar said...

I am still so impressed that you did this as a family. That is awesome! (coming from someone who doesn't run unless chased, haha!)

And Mateo is so cute in the kiddie race-- How fun!