This afternoon, after Mateo used the potty, I wanted to say that his bladder was empty, but I didn't know the word in Spanish. (I was talking in Spanish with him and Natalia.) I went to the dictionary and looked up the word bladder and showed Mateo how the dictionary told us that the word bladder in Spanish is vajiga. We have a visual dictionary (a favorite book of Mateo because it has thousands of interesting pictures), and so he is familiar with the idea that you can look words up in a dictionary.
A few minutes later, Mateo picks up the dictionary and tells me that I should give him a word. I say nose. He flips through the dictionary and opens it up to a page, points to a random word and says, "nariz." He then does the same thing for kitchen (cocina), ear (oreja) and a few other words. I then gave him the word floor, and he looks and looks and then pronounces to me that the word floor is not in the dictionary. He found it, though, after I told him that the word floor is piso.
I am really amazed at all of the words he knows in Spanish. He is just like a sponge at this age.
No comments:
Post a Comment