For the last eight months I have been breastfeeding Natalia. After a rough start, it has been such a nice thing to do. A lot of the times, though, I have felt stressed about if I was pumping enough milk for her. I think that up til the last month we used my milk or Alayna's milk 95% of the time. She then stopped nursing Natalia during the mornings, because someone was getting really distracted and impatient while nursing.
This month I am probably not making that much less month, but need to make more to compensate for the shift. It does seem that I've been getting less of a let down when I pump at school. As it is I normally pump two different times to get 3-4 ounces for Natalia. I get to school, check in, and pump for 15 min. Then, after I teach my last class, I pump for 10 minutes and leave. Some days, though, I have to do something else for part of that time, and will get a bit less. Anyway, she is starting to get supplemented with some formula a few days a week. For a while I was feeling bad about the supplementation, but I am coming to peace with it. Some formula really isn't going to hurt her in any way.
I have also started giving her a few ounces of formula after I feed her for the night. She continues to wake up once a night to eat (many more times for the binky), and Alayna and I are wondering if she might sleep better if she was a little fuller. On that note, we are also focusing on giving her something with a good amount of fat for dinner, like whole yogurt. Tonight, after I nursed her fully, she gulped down two more ounces. I just hope this means she will sleep a bit more.
After thinking for such a long time that I didn't want to give her formula at night, I am now all for it. If a few ounces of formula, after she nurses completely, means she sleeps for a few more hours and that we are all happier, saner and more with-it during the day, I am all for it. She still gets plenty of nursing during the day, and this will hopefully make for more rested moms!
2 comments:
It took me a while to realize this very same thing... I just wasn't making enough milk, and someone was a very distracted nurser. When I started supplementing with formula, he ate more, seemed generally happier, and gained more weight. I used to think formula was evil, but I know that he still got all the great benefits of breastmilk. You are doing the right thing! :)
This is random, but I used the Gerber pacifiers that have a handle that sits flush with the mouthpiece, instead of a handle ring that protrudes. It seemed to stay in Maddie's mouth better - she was less apt to yank it out or lose it while rolling.
Tobs is taking formula with sitters now - something I put off for similar guilty feelings. We have to balance what's best for the whole fam with our goals for each little person. You have been so persevering - i don't think i could have pumped that long at work. You go!
Post a Comment