Anyway, today was the day that our nanny was supposed to cook us dinner. It started by her calling to say that she would be 30 minutes late because her teacher had not given her back the meal plans. Now, she wasn't at school when she called, and it was a Monday, so she should have known ALL weekend that she didn't have her plans, but somehow she didn't notice till right before 11am on Monday.
Today we were going grocery shopping and she was supposed to do all of the meal prep and clean-up, while watching the kids. This is what happened. I had her get the kids ready to go grocery shopping all on her own. She did decently, but needed to be reminded that:
- You should turn out the lights before leaving the house.
- One should bring the diaper bag for an outing.
- We normally put down the blinds.
- You should take Mateo to the bathroom and make sure Natalia has on a clean diaper before leaving the house.
- The buckles should not be twisted in the car seat.
- You should always check to see if the seat and buckles are actually buckled in (thank god I checked - ahhh.)
We got home a bit before 5, and the meal prep then started. I encouraged her to get going while Natalia was taking a nap, and it took her about 20 minutes to whip up the brownie mix. I am not honestly sure what took so long (add two eggs and butter and mix), but whatever.
The dinner was challenging. Things I taught or coached:
- You do need to wash your hands after touching raw chicken.
- If the spatula touched raw chicken, it should not touch the cooked pasta before it is washed again.
- What does the word dice mean and how to cut, handle, cook and test for being cooked with chicken.
- Use the kitchen timer. Did you put on the timer for the brownies - no. Did you put on the timer for the pasta - no. How long has it been going for - I don't know. How long is it supposed to cook for - I don't know. (3 minutes . . . opps)
- When you should put the pasta in the water - ie after it boils
- How to drain the pasta.
- That you should not ignore Mateo if he is behaving well, but give him some positive feedback.
- You can not spread refrigerated butter on cold bread - it must be warmed gently in the microwave.
What have I taken from all of this? Beyond being horrified at this poor girl's lack of life skills. We will be teaching our children how to cook! How to fold the laundry! How to help out around the house. Will we have another student nanny - well I just don't know.
5 comments:
Oh! Makes me tired, you poor thing! Sounds like you did a lot of teaching but it also makes me want to buy you that drink.
Oh my gosh, that's like taking care of three children all day! How does she even take care of herself?
dude. just. wow. by "student nanny" i hope you mean she's 12.
Um, wow... I don't even know what to say! Not knowing to wash her hands after touching raw chicken? Not knowing how to BOIL NOODLES? I really hope that she's taking all this stuff in and remembering it, or I fear for her future clients. Yikes!
Do you guys get to fill out an evaluation at the end of this whole experience?!!!
Plotting honest evaluations always makes me feel better. I've got a running draft in my head for my current jr. college instructor that I will be filling out at the end of the semester. (example: a college instructor shouldn't chomp gum while giving a lecture...)
Post a Comment