Today was a great day because we got a new president!
We turned on the tv this morning at 7 am and watched the festivities while we got ready for the day. It was really fun to see all the dignitaries and people we normally read about there and looking all fancy. Sacha eventually had to leave for school and then it was just me and the kids. When the former presidents started to enter the scene, I told them all about who they were and such. I even pulled down the photo of President Carter and Mrs. Carter holding Mateo and showed it to him. He seemed more interested in the fact that Grammy and Grandpa were in the photo, but still, at least he was impressed by something! We think Grammy and Grandpa are superstars, too :) I tried to pretend like we were there even though we weren't. I had us clap when all the presidents came down and we stood up when we were supposed to stand up.
By the time the inauguration actually started, the kids had had enough tv. We almost never watch it at all and when we occasionally let Mateo watch a signing video, it never lasts more than half an hour. Two hours of tv was way too long - the novelty had worn off - and both of them started whining and fussing. They barely made it through the inauguration of the VP and the President, so they can say they saw it. However, Mateo spent part of Obama's speech in timeout having a massive tantrum while Natalia fell asleep on my shoulder and then ended up snoozing in her bed.
Nonetheless, it was awesome to watch. It was really inspiring to see all the millions of people who braved the cold to be there. And I cried like a little girl, as Apa would say, when Aretha Franklin was singing and they were showing the montage of American scenes. I feel more hopeful about this country now than I ever have. Yay Obama!!
Here's what Sacha was up to while we were at home...
Once I got to school, I was interested in watching, but because it was in the cafeteria with all of the pre-school day care kids, it was impossible to hear anything. I decided to pump, and try to catch more after the bell rang.
My first teacher decided that we would have class as normal till 9am. I thought leaving at 9am to go to another teacher's classroom and watch the swearing in was cutting it a little bit close, but couldn't convince her of this. As it was, the swearing in was a bit late, so I was able to see it! I made a conscious effort to not be my teacher self and just be present and stay in the moment and take in whole inauguration.
I also feel so hopeful about our country. I want to find a way to help our country and feel honored to have witnessed and taken part in this day.
1 comment:
Sorel really has never watched TV and we were emphasizing how special it was but he really wasn't that interested. He clapped a little bit and like Aretha Franklin and the classical music, but otherwise was running around the room. It made me wonder how kids learn to watch it! Hope to see you next Wednesday.
Post a Comment