I had just started my drive home from work last night when NPR called Ohio for Obama. "YES!!" I shouted, to no one. That was the moment when I started to let go of my mental white knuckles and believe that maybe this one would go our way. Later in the evening, as the clock turned to 8 pm PDT and the networks all called the election for Obama, we cheered quietly, so as not to wake up the kids, as our neighborhood erupted in shouts of celebration. We felt elated, relieved, and proud. For the first time in my adult life, I felt really proud to be an American. On the phone this morning, friends kept saying "We did it!" And we did. Wahoo!!
And yet, there's a moderately-sized part of me that just feels like throwing up. Watching Proposition 8 pass in California and the other anti-gay measures in Arizona and Florida and Arkansas made me wonder when we'll ever be done with throwing rocks from glass houses.
I was listening to NPR on the way to work today as they interviewed person after person who said, of Obama's election, I never thought I would see this day in my lifetime. While I would never presume to compare the struggles of African American people with those of gay and lesbian people, I feel kind of that way myself. I hope that I do see the day when we, too, have the right to marry and raise our children without being discriminated or legislated against. And even though today is evidently not going to be that day, I hope it comes sooner rather than later.
6 comments:
I know what you mean. The fact that Prop 8 passed honestly made me feel sick to my stomach. I feel like my "blue state" really let me down. I think a lot of people were really unclear on what it meant, which is so sad... The "Yes on 8" people kept running ads saying that we needed to "protect marriage," "preserve parental rights," and "protect families." Um, hello?? Wouldn't that mean voting NO?? It was so ridiculous. I was shocked and saddened to see the numbers. Such a step backward on what was otherwise a night of huge leaps forward. Ugh!!!
Oh, and I should add... I was discussing this with my coworker today (who is a devout Catholic and was very ANTI-Prop 8-- not a popular position in her church), and she talked about how much money the church put into the "Yes on 8" campaign. She made the same glass houses comparison. Doesn't the Catholic church have bigger things to worry about than this? And I was under the impression that God loved everyone... Apparently He does not. I was mistaken (????).
Let’s fight back on Proposition 8. Let’s boycott California wines, produce and travel. Let’s publicize it. Let’s embarrass them. It worked a few years ago in Colorado. What do say?
We should try to fight Proposition 8 which takes away rights already granted.
Please consider a boycott of Sundance, Utah and Mormons
Bette ideas:
http://www.americablog.com/2008/11/why-is-sundance-film-festival-taking.html
or donating money to the Northern California ACLU
http://www.aclunc.org/ .
I am not affiliated with either. I am just trying to make a difference. Thanks.
Beautiful post! So well written.
It's unbelievable to me that a nation that just elected obama could also pass prop 8. What are people thinking?
On election night Matt and I were at the Democratic Headquarters party here in Montana. Of course there was a lot of screaming when it became official that Obama had won. But I want to add that during his speech when he listed "gay or straight" among his list of who we as a nation are (black or white, young or old, etc. etc.) the place erupted in cheers, some of the loudest cheers of the night. There was such a sense of joy and relief that *finally* a leader is acknowledging *all* Americans. It seems so simple, so small a gesture in light of all the discrimination (violent, legal,psychological, etc) that gays and Lesbians are experiencing in this country (and abroad). But civil rights movements are defined by small gestures. They add up and build momentum and make people think about things in ways they hadn't before.
If I've gained anything from Obama's election (and a look at his extraordinary life and career), it's that anything is possible. This gives me hope.
Post a Comment