Sunday, February 11, 2007

Poppy seeds, part one

I'm telling you now, I'll probably be doing this all year. I've been thinking about last year a lot recently, because this was the month when we managed to get me knocked up after six months of trying. It was this weekend last year when Sacha and I went to my grandma's place on the Oregon coast to get away and try to distract ourselves from the waiting game.

Of course, we couldn't quite get away from it and by the time we had driven the two hours out to the beach, we had convinced ourselves that we really should buy some pregnancy tests for while we were there :) I think we bought three and used two on Saturday and one on Sunday morning. They all came up negative right away and we told ourselves we should have known better than to test that early....but when we fished them out of the trash later on in the day (did I mention that we were obsessed?) they all had these very faint positive lines on them. We decided they must be false positives, because the tests are really supposed to be invalid after ten minutes. Still, we wondered.....

On the way home, we drove a different way and visited the famous Tillamook Cheese Factory. We walked around and had a very greasy lunch in the cafeteria there and boy was I feeling crampy. We wrote that off, as well, to the progesterone supplements I was taking. Still, we couldn't help but wondering.

We got home and of course, took one of our million pregnancy tests that we had stockpiled. It looked negative at first, but then, right around nine minutes, we noticed a verrrrry faint line starting to appear. It never got very dark, and other people later said that they didn't see anything, but we thought there was definitely something there. We took a walk down the street and it was a beautiful day (just like the day when Mateo was born, actually, except in a different season). We talked about how great if it would be if I was pregnant, not that I necessarily was. We were so excited, but also trying not to be too excited! We got our first really solid positive on Valentine's Day, which is another story. But, this weekend was another beginning in a year full of them. At this time last year, Mateo was a clump of cells about the size of a poppy seed. We already loved him so much.

******************************************************

This weekend, Mateo's Bubby came to visit him! We had a wonderful time and she was so sweet with him. She also helped Sacha immensely with kindergarten prep work and strategizing, as well as with shoe shopping! She is great. Here's a cute photo of her and Mateo having a laugh together:

No comments: