Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Relief

Well, my plan of blogging every day this month isn't working out too well, but at least I have posted more this month than in quite awhile :)  Of all the things I have learned since we had Rosie, finding my own limits has been one of the biggest.  When we had one and two kids and then when we had three but the third wasn't walking yet, I always had something left at the end of the day and blogging seemed to fit in well.  Now that all three of them are at full speed, I just don't have it at the end of most days.  I'm working on making writing a priority, because I love looking back at the years of blog books that we have and remembering all the things we have done.  However, I'm also working on letting myself off the hook.  I am pretty much at capacity right now and I am doing the best I can.

Ahem.  Back to what I was going to say:

Oh my goodness, I am SO RELIEVED.  I hadn't realized how much I was worrying about the election until it was over.  I had fully prepared myself for weeks of legal wrangling over what seemed like a very close presidential race, so I was beside myself when they called it for Obama so relatively early on.  And, that he went on to win convincingly.  Whew.  Seriously, so relieved.

And, we are over the moon happy about the great marriage wins in Maine, Maryland, and Washington, and about the defeat of the amendment in Minnesota.  As much as I was hoping that at least Washington would have a good outcome, it was still just amazing to see the results come in, and then jaw-dropping to see them all win.  Love won.  As much as it doesn't feel great to have people voting on what they think of our family and families and couples like ours, what does feel great is when the tide goes our way!  I think we both feel affirmed and much more hopeful about the future.  And, I have to say, it was pretty great to say to our kids on the day after the election that Mommy and Mama will be able to get married now.  Well, married again.  Legally this time!

We are thinking that we are, in fact, going to drive across the river and get hitched one more time.  We think this might actually be our last time of exchanging vows, because if Oregon eventually legalizes gay marriage, then a Washington marriage would almost certainly be recognized in-state.  And, if something changes on the federal level at some point, again, our Washington marriage would be valid federally.  So, we are going to do it!

We think we are going to wait a year, though.  We are thinking about next October 26th, which will be our tenth wedding anniversary.  Of our real but non-legal wedding.  Seems like a good day to add the legal part.  We've already had our big-deal wedding, so this would be just a small ceremony...but we are excited, and, more importantly, so are the kids!  Natalia, our resident fashion expert, is already plotting for Mommy to get a new dress. 


2 comments:

Snickollet said...

Your wedding date is on my calendar! Woo-hoo!! Yay, love!!!

Catherine said...

relief it is!!
Will Natalia help me pick a dress too?
I am really excited for all.
It is always so nice when there is a note in the blog - even short notes are nice. I check every day :) and it is such a pleasure to find a note.

See you TOMORROW!!
Have to finish my dictations so I have a perfect holiday.