Sunday, April 1, 2012

The making of the birthday cake

Instead of having a party, we decided to celebrate Rosie's birthday with our two sets of parents and Apa. We were with my parents in Arizona on the actual day and then Sacha's parents came down this weekend. Last night, Apa made us all another unbelievably delicious dinner and I tackled the cake.

The kids are very into celebratory cakes, as we have already made several fun ones (rainbow cakes and that robot cake for Mateo's last birthday). Recently, I got a book on cake creations that use fondant and can be made into all sorts of fun things. I let the kids weigh in and we all decided on a little chick cake for Rosa's big day.

It looked simple but turned out to be much more difficult than it looked. Nevertheless, we persevered and in the end it came out pretty well. Here are some photos of the process and the finished product!

PS: I am happy to report that the cake inside was well-received, too :)

Here's Tali putting on the frosting:



Here I am, putting on the fondant for the head:



The chickie:


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

Cherida said...

That looks like a lot of fun, as well as quite an involved process!, for everyone! And what a special cake to celebrate Rosie's first birthday :)

E. from Pot o' Gold said...

Well done!

Solete said...

It's a beautiful cake!!!